There are many other dictionary & thesaurus app for Windows 8 and are quite good. The reason for selecting WordBook is that its lightweight, free, and is easy to use. This Windows 8 dictionary app has been granted a rating of almost 5 stars, which itself speaks about its performance and popularity. The screenshot of WordBook App Overview page has been included below.
Features Of WordBook Dictionary App For Windows 8:
- Contains above 220,000 definitions and 150,000 entries.
- 30,000 word origins (etymologies)
- WordBook includes about 70,000 usage examples.
- You can hear 150,000 accurate human voice pronunciations.
- 120,000 IPA (pronunciation guides)
- Browser-like UI for easy navigation. You can also tap on a word to find its definition.
- In-built word links and thesaurus
Installing WordBook In Windows 8:
- Open this link in IE10 and click on ‘View in Windows Store’.
- To begin, you will require clicking on ‘Install’ button positioned on the top-left section of the interface. The installation procedure will begin and it wont take must time to download and install 16.6 MB installation.
- Wait a while till ‘Installing WordBook’ status disappears form the top-right section of screen.
- Now, go to the start screen and click on newly included WordBook logo and soon you’ll be presented the following interface in front of you.
- WordBook dictionary app for Windows 8 includes a search box in the right hand side, which can be easily utilized for searching meaning of the words. Your task will be type/paste the word in it. As you type the list of matching words will start populating beneath the textbox. On clicking on a word you will be presented the definitions in the left section. You will also find an audio icon in front of the word; you can click it to hear the pronunciation.
- You can use either of the three vertical tabs on left section to search for ‘Definitions’, ‘Links’, and ‘Thesaurus’ as per requirement.
* The availability of thesaurus will depend upon the word you queried. For example: In case of a proper nouns the thesaurus tab will be disabled automatically.
The Final Verdict:
WordBook dictionary Windows 8 app is a must to have on your machine. It must be taken into consideration that it is a general English dictionary i.e. querying for Jargon and technical terms might not help. You can obtain it from Windows Store (Use IE 10 or above).
* The add-free version is available for $1.99 only.